The Very Big Selfie Survey
Since the word 'selfie' was added to the dictionary in 2013, the trend has continued to grow across social media, with everyone from Kim Kardashian to the guy next door posting them. Now, we're turning the lens to the hottest trends in selfies, and photography as a whole. Who is everyone's favourite selfie star? And did you know that 54% of all photos are captured using a mobile phone camera? There's plenty more fun facts where those came from...
LET ME TAKE A
We surveyed 2000 photo takers of
various ages to get a snap shot of the
most popular trends in selfies, and
photo-taking on the whole.
Ready for a close-up of the results?
Kim Kardashian West
Kimmy K takes the crown for the
nation's favourite selfie-snapper
followed by Taylor Swift in 2nd place, then Ed Sheeran in 3rd.'
Kim, who published her own book of selfies called 'Selfish' in
2015, even beat younger sister, Kylie who came in 9th place!
take the most
but were also the
age group who
hated gym selfies!
35% of photos are taken
during summer holidays
which are the most popular
time of the year for taking
Christmas is the second most popular!
of people post at least one
selfie per week on Facebook
23% post at least one a week on Snapchat and
22% at least one a week on Instagram
Our survey reveals
guys take 16+ selfies
per week, with women
taking 1 - 15.
Just under a fifth
of people have
taken a selfie with
their pet -
48% OF SURVEY
UP TO 5 PHOTOS
A DAY ON THEIR
leads the way as favourite social media
The Unmumsy Mum takes second place
People love those natural down to earth mum shots.
54% of all photos are captured using a mobile phone camera,
those over 55 prefer to use a traditional camera.
A FIFTH OF THOSE SURVEYED TAKE UP TO
5 SELFIES PER WEEK
Those aged 55+ love
silly selfies but are not a fan of the food snaps!OUT OF ALL OF THE UK
LOVE A LITTLE EDITING WITH
USING A FILTER
CAN'T STAND SMOOCHIE
(EWW - GET A ROOM!)
OF THOSE SURVEYED SAID
THEY'RE NOT KEEN
DUCK POUT POSE
LADS AND LASSES
WHO EACH TAKE
AROUND 50+ PER WEEK
The best of the rest...
The top 10 celeb selfie takers, in order were voted as:
- Kim Kardashian
- Taylor Swift
- Ed Sheeran
- Jessica Alba
- Chris Pratt
- Cara Delevigne
- Kylie Kardashian
- Ryan Reynolds
The top 10 social media selfie stars, in order were voted as:
- Giovanna Fletcher
- The Unmumsy Mum
- Joe Wicks
- Perez Hilton
- Tanya Burr
- Alfie Deyes
- Joe Sugg
- Anna Saccone Joly
- Chiara Ferragni
Some other interesting facts from the survey were...
- 18-24 year olds are biggest Kardashian fans who chose Kim as their fave celeb selfie star, then Kylie in 2nd place
- 18% of people have had an argument over the amount of selfies they take
- 18-24 year olds prefer to see pics of holidays, then selfies, then food
- 25-44 year olds prefer pics of family, holidays, then food
- 45-54 year olds prefer pics of holidays, family, then pets
- 24-35 year olds are the biggest fans of a Lumee case for enhancing selfies like Kim K
- Overall, Facebook beat Snapchat and Instagram as the most popular social media platform
- Instagram is most popular social media platform with 25-44 year olds though
- 34-44 year olds prefer Facebook
- 18-24 year olds prefer Snapchat
- Holidays are people's favourite type of selfies, following by family
- 79% claim not to use filters to enhance their looks on a selfie
- More than half take up to 5 attempts to get the perfect selfie
- A quarter have taken a close up selfie
- 10% use a selfie stick accessory
- Yorkshire was followed a close second by Northern Ireland and West Midlands in the selfie taking stakes
- Northern Irish are only ones surveyed who say selfies make them feel more confident about their looks
- Welsh have most arguments about their selfie taking habits