How to find your next TV
What do you need to know?
If you'd love to be ahead of the curve with one of the latest curved screen
TVs or want to know what Smart TVs can do for you, our guide will help
you choose the TV that suits your viewing!
- Which screen size do I need?
- What are the different screen
- What about picture quality?
- What is Smart TV?
- How do I get the best sound
- What Accessories might I need?
We have a great range of sizes from 22in screen TVs (great as a second TV- for the kitchen, the spare bedroom or the kids' den) right up to an incredible 70-in screen so you can really get the impact of your favourite blockbusters on screen.
TVs are now so slim and with much smaller bezels that you can fit a larger TV into a smaller space. For example a modern 50in TV takes roughly the same space as a 42in TV did in 2008. So why not go up a few sizes?
- TVs are measured diagonally across the screen from one corner to the other, in inches
- All our TVs have a 16:9 ratio so you'll see the whole widescreen picture.
You'll need to take into account the size of the room in which you'll be watching the TV. Then check our handy chart - it'll show the size of TV that will best suit the distance you prefer to sit from the screen.
LED TVs are super slim LCD TVs which feature the latest lighting technology with LED Lights (or Light Emitting Diodes) around the edge of the screen or across the back of the panel.
- Up to 70% slimmer than previous LCD TVS, great for wall hanging.
- Energy efficient to help with the electricity bills.
- Bright detailed pictures with unrivalled colours
- A High contrast ratio gives you crystal clear images.
These great looking TVs are designed in a curved shape that gives you a wider viewing field with better contrast.
- Fully immersive viewing with a wider image than on a standard flat screen TV
- Seems to wrap the action all around you
- Curved screens follow the shape of your eye
- Can't sit flush to a wall like flat screen TVs,so not good for wall hanging
TVs with OLED display technology feature self-lighting pixels (picture elements) so there's no backlighting. This means they're super slim and light and very energy efficient. Picture quality is superb with vivid, lifelike colours, deeper blacks and brighter whites.
- Great for wall mounting
- Super slim bezels give you near edge-to-edge viewing
- OLED stands for Organic Light Emitting Diode
HD Ready or Full HD?
HD Ready TVs have the minimum 720 lines (720p) of horizontal screen resolution that lets you watch high definition broadcasts. Full HD (also known as HD 1080p) TVs have 50% more lines for even more detail and clarity. You'll really notice the difference on screens from 37in up.
- You can watch HD broadcasts on bothHD ready and Full HD TVs
- HD broadcasts, Blu-ray movies and gameswill be sharper on Full HD TVs.
Also known as Ultra-high definition, 4KTV has 8 million pixels (picture elements) for pin-sharp pictures with four times the detail of full HD. (HD TVs have 2 million or so pixels).
- 4K or UHD TVs usually have screens40in or over - the larger display reallyshows all the extra detail.
- TVs with the Ultra HD version of theNetflix app let you stream Ultra HDcontent (subscription needed).
- You can upscale HD TV programmesand your Blu-ray movies to nearUltra HD quality.
4K Ultra HD Premium
A 4K TV with an Ultra HD Premium logo meets the standards for minimum brightness levels and the highest quality, most realistic colours set by an association of Hollywood studios, TV manufacturers and tech companies.
- 4K Ultra HD premium TVs feature High Dynamic Range for high quality, lifelike colours
- Viewing is more immersive than on standard 4K UHD TVs
HDR (or High Dynamic Range) gives you better contrast, greater brightness levels and a wider colour palette to make your movies and TV shows look more like real life. Dark skies will seem more realistic, the sun will look warmer and grass will really look like grass.
- Exceptional levels of detail and a much wider colour palette make everything look more lifelike.
Screen refresh rate
TV pictures are generally broadcast or recorded at 50Hz – that’s 25 frames per second. TVs with 100Hz or 200Hz processing use 50 or 100 frames per second for smoother, sharper action pictures.
- The higher the screen refresh rate,the smoother the picture
- Higher refresh rates are perfect forwatching fast paced games, sportsand movie action.
Smart TVs and boxes are a great way of getting more from TV - from normal TV to movies, photos and videos to social media, apps and catch up TV.
- Watch normal TV.
- Access online interactive media.
- Connect your Smart TV to yourSmartphone or tablet.
- Catch up on TV shows on BBC iPlayer, ITVhub, All 4 and more.
- Stream movies and shows on demandfrom Netflix, Now TV and Amazon (subscription required).
- Download games.
Freeview Play for catch up TV
All our TVs feature Freeview for subscription free digital TV through your aerial. TVs featuring Freeview Play give you live TV and TV on demand in the one place - with no monthly fee. Just make sure your TV or recorder is connected to the internet!
- View over 70 digital TV and radio channels and 15 HD channels.
- Up to 7 days catch up TV on BBC iPlayer,the ITV Hub, All 4, and My5.
- Available on selected LG and HiSense TVsor a Humax Smart box with Freeview Play.
You can now receive a number of bonus free and pay TV channels streamed directly over the internet on most Freeview HD and smart TVs.
- Ketchup TV (Kids entertainmenton demand).
- Racing UK (pay service).
- Vision TV (Free to air entertainment).
- Planet knowledge (Documentarieson demand).
- Box Nation (Pay service for boxingchannel).
Access a whole range of apps via your Smart
TV - from catch up TV to Twitter and YouTube.
Save £££s on phone calls to landlines
and mobiles with Skype.
The same goes with video calls - just plug in a webcam and you can make free Skype-to-Skype video calls anywhere in the world. (You'll need an Ethernet or wireless connection to your broadband hub).
You can make your normal TV Smart
by adding a Google player, smart box
or Smart Blu-ray player using your
Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection.
Plus stream tens of thousands of TV episodes movies and more with an Amazon Fire Stick and watch the latest movies, TV shows, live sports and kids entertainment live and on demand with Now TV.
A TV recorder lets you record up to 4 channels whilst watching another. You'll never run out of things to watch as a disk size of 1Tb will store around 250 hours of HD Programmes or 600 hours of standard definition TV.
A TV with Freesat built in or a Freesat box from top brands like Samsung or Humax will give you subscription free satellite TV wherever you live in the UK. (You'll need a satellite dish as well).
- No subscription and no monthly bills.
- Covers the whole UK.
- Over 200 digital channels.
- Over 13 HD channels.
- Catch up on the last 7 days TV 26 popular channels.
- If you already have a satellite dish, you can connect it to your new Freesat TV or Feesat box yourself.
All our TVs feature Freeview for subscription
free digital TV through your aerial. Freeview
HD gives you even more so you can see
all the finest details of your favourite shows
on up to 17 high definition channels,
including popular ones like BBC 1 and 2,
ITV, 4HD, 5HD, CBeebies.
All you need is one of our TVs from great brands like LG, Samsung, Sony or Toshiba with Freeview HD built in. Or connect an HD-ready TV to a Freeview HD recorder from brands like Humax and Panasonic
Connect a soundbar to your TV for incredible wide surround sound from a single, space saving bar. Perfect for wall mounting, from household names like Sonos, Bose, LG, Samsung and Sony.
Soundbases like the Sonos playbase will add cinema sound to your TV and stream music, too. Or add a full 5.1 home theatre speaker system for a blockbusting home cinema experience. They're designed to sit on a stand, not on your wall.
- Soundbars and soundbases sit beneath your TV.
- Soundbases can stream music services, your music library, Internet radio and podcasts.
- Control from your smartphone, tablet or computer.
We've a great range of accessories to help you get the most from your TV - from universal remote controls to HDMI cables for the best connection and aerials for great reception.
Universal remotes controls
You can operate any brand of TV, Freeview, cable, satellite box and Blu-ray player with a universal remote control.
We have all the cables you could need to get your TV connected with a wide selection of HDMI, Ethernet, USB and optical audio cables
From free standing to wall mountable, we offer a good range of reliable indoor aerials to help you get the best possible picture and sound quality.
Wall brackets are a great way to free up space and make your TV a focal point in your home. From tilt-and-swivel to multi-position, we have brackets to suit every size and every type of TV.
Put your TV centre stage with one of our TV stands or multi-media units designed to neatly house all your audio and video equipment (and hide the cables that connect them up) for a clutter-free look.
What do you need to know?
If you'd love to be ahead of the curve with one of the latest curved screen TVs or want to know what Smart TVs can do for you, our guide will help you choose the TV that suits your viewing!
If the TV you are buying is smaller
than 37 Inches this generally will be available
for delivery using one of our ‘small item’
delivery options including Next Day,
Standard & Specified Day.
When the TV you are buying is 37 Inches or larger this will be classed as a large item & an additional delivery charge will be applied as it will take 2 of our delivery men to carry.
To find out more about your delivery options Click Here
Extend your warranty with Service Guarantee! Can you imagine life without your TV? What would you do if it stopped working outside of the manufacturer's warranty?
Add to your peace of mind with Service Guarantee which extends your warranty by providing a repair service for your TV after the end of the manufacturer's warranty period.
- Protect your TV against mechanical and electrical breakdown.
- We'll aim to repair your TV and if it can' be repaired, we'll replace it with a TV of similar specification.
- Call out, parts and labour charges are all covered.
- We use a trusted network of repairers so can guarantee an expert service.
- The option to spread the cost of the cover on your credit account.
If you already have cover for breakdown through an extended warranty programme included in a premium bank account package or another product this Service Guarantee may not be appropriate for you. Service Guarantee excludes some situations, for example; accidental damage, and any wilful act or neglect. It is not an insurance product.